Thursday, September 3, 2009

My September Issues Review, so far






So far I have only picked four of the available September Issues: Flare, Harper's Bazaar, Vogue and Elle. I am trying to restrain myself by not buying them all at once. 

FLARE: I was soo impressed with Flare this month!! Lisa Tant has really outdone herself. From having Daria on the cover, to using Kate Bock in a fabulous fashion spread to the relevant articles and intense use of Canadian designers and realistic price points, Flare really delivered a useful fashion tool. There are several items I will be scouting for thanks to Flare. And I will be keeping this issue, not tossing it as I suspect I will be doing to Elle-music to Tommy's ears, (I own stacks and stacks of magazines from past years-"one day they'll be vintage!!").

HARPER'S BAZAAR: When I saw Leighton Meester on the cover I was thrilled!! But then disappointed by the very 'bazaar' aging spread they did of her. Where did that idea come from and why wasn't it nixed? It was weird and a very short piece about the cover star, maybe an actual fashion spread with Leighton and a full article would have been better? Just a thought.... However, I was soo excited about Aggy playing Michael Jackson in the "Thriller Fashion" spread, shot by Terry Richardson. Also, loved the "Proud to Shop" bit, the pictures were beautiful, and while I can't afford to shop like they think I should, I did find the piece relevant and the photos were beautiful.

VOGUE: Question: Why put Charlize on the cover? I get that Vogue thinks she is the ultimate "movie star", but haven't we seen Charlize on many, many covers already? Maybe it's just me, but I think that the September issue needs to showcase something new and be a real trendsetting magazine and therefore putting a NEW star on the cover would've been a better idea. Or maybe even a MODEL. Especially since the Supermodel era is back, why not put Naomi, Linda or Cindy on the cover? Or maybe all together like back in the day... Anyways, I did enjoy the escape Vogue provided me, they always provide fantastical fashion spreads and articles-particularly the article and photos showcasing Gela Nash-Taylor's beautiful English country side home-I'm sure we all dream of owning that one day.

ELLE: WHAT THE HECK DID THEY PUT JENNIFER ANNISTON ON THE COVER FOR?! I mean COME ON. Have we not heard enough about sad J. Anniston?? I used to be on team Anniston, now due to J's seemingly "I lost my only true love to Ang" persona, I am fully on team Brangelina. I'm tired of reading about her, tired of seeing her in/on magazines. I know that's harsh but her story is over, it was past over back when she was on Oprah. I don't particularly care about what she has to say, partly because I find her to be dull and boring...... I haven't even read the issue yet, something about seeing that terrible picture of her on the cover, (couldnt they have at least made her look fabulous?!), makes me not want to even open the magazine. Why did I buy it? Because I wanted to give Elle, a magazine I usually love, a chance. One of my fellow twitterers says that the magazine is full of big prices and unrealistic fashion this month.... Ohhh Elle, try again next month. Better luck then hopefully?

No comments:

Post a Comment