Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Few of My Fashion Ways


Accessorizing
Partly because I am sometimes absent-minded, and partly because I get lazy when I get home, my jewelry is everywhere; a ring on the bathroom counter, a necklace on top of the fridge, bracelets on the bed side table. 
I used to think I should learn to be tidier, but I now think that this behavior is brilliant as it allows me to pop on a piece of jewelry that maybe isn't the perfect match, or I wouldn't have thought to pair with a particular ensemble. 
Ex: Slipped on a huge cocktail ring this morning while brushing my teeth. I was wearing an oversized white T and skinny jeans. By breakfast I was thinking, "this glam ring is just right with these favourite, worn in pieces".

Style Instinct
I remember reading a quote from Agyness Deyn that said something like, wear the outfit that you first put on because those are the pieces that you want to wear, and don't second guess yourself. (While I totally agree with this, I can't say this is always what I've done; once I imagined how great it would look to wear this new wide belt I had just bought over a cream, winter wool coat, (I was trying to channel my inner Patricia Field for SJP), I looked in the mirror and saw a belted twinkie. It was awful.) But the gist of Aggy's idea is brilliant, wear what you love and what suits your mood and go with it. Once you walk out the door, leave all self doubt behind.  

Silhouette 
When dressing I always try to stay away from wearing top and bottoms that are of the same silhouette. I think it's much more flattering to wear 1 thing fitted, 1 thing loose, when talking casual wear. (Obviously work attire is different because both top and bottoms should be appropriately fitted, as in not tight, and not sloppy). 
If you're having a "fat day" a men's style button down is a dream, especially when paired with a tight-ish skirt, or fitted jeans, the look is stylish and comfortable as you're not pulling your shirt down all day because you're worried the jeans might create the "love-handle" effect. 

I was asked lately about my personal style, and it got me thinking, so I thought I'd share. Happy styling!

1 comment:

  1. we have similar philo about dressing. i'm very absent-minded myself. your 'method' sounds great. but i'm not very good at accessorising; i'm still learning to unlearn my own rules. until then, my things are almost everywhere or just staying put in my boxes.

    ReplyDelete